Political Advocacy and Involvement
Constructive public policy engagement is important as it enables a dialogue between individual companies, industries and government, regardless of political affiliation, to achieve results-based policy outcomes.
Ovintiv actively participates in public policy development at the federal, provincial, state and local levels in the United States and Canada to support effective policies governing responsible energy development in North America. Ovintiv also engages with elected officials, regulatory agencies, legislative staff and the public to provide perspective on key issues and to advocate for reasonable public policy and regulatory frameworks.
Our federal lobbying filings in the United States can be found online with the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives. Ovintiv also maintains active lobbying registrations in Oklahoma and Texas. In Canada, Ovintiv is registered with the Federal lobbyist registry and provincial lobbyist registries in Alberta and British Columbia.
- United States (federal)
- North Dakota
- Canada (federal)
- British Columbia
Our Approach to Effective Climate Change Policy
Meeting growing needs for safe, reliable and affordable energy while addressing GHG emissions is a complex challenge for policymakers.
We support a transparent and practical approach to improved GHG emissions performance, where government policy defines goals but grants industry flexibility to develop effective, efficient and innovative solutions. Ovintiv partners with key stakeholders and industry peers to help inform regulatory development and encourage these actionable solutions.
Climate Change Policy Goals
- Drive meaningful GHG emissions reductions
- Promote innovation and actionable solutions
- Foster transparent partnership among key stakeholders
- Align economic, environmental and energy security needs
We support trade associations, public policy organizations and academic research initiatives to inform public dialogue on issues impacting Ovintiv and the oil and natural gas industry.
These organizations have multiple functions including direct advocacy, standards development, industry best practices creation and supporting the communities where we operate. They typically represent a diverse membership, both within the oil and natural gas sector and the broader business community.
Ovintiv is a leader in the policy development and advocacy of our trade associations, although their policy views and the views and strategies of their participating organizations, are not monolithic. We do not always agree with or support their policy positions but try to influence the end result.
Organizations Supported in 2021
All organizations received more than US $25,000
- American Exploration & Production Council
- American Petroleum Institute
- Bipartisan Policy Center
- Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce
- Independent Petroleum Association of America
- National Association of Manufacturers
- National Petroleum Council
- North Dakota Petroleum Council
- Oklahoma Energy Resources Board
- Permian Basin Petroleum Association
- Permian Strategic Partnership
- Texans for Lawsuit Reform
- Texas Oil & Gas Association
- The Petroleum Alliance of Oklahoma
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Utah Petroleum Association
- Western Energy Alliance
- Business Council of Alberta
- Business Council of British Columbia
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Resource Works Society
- Canada West Foundation
- Positive Energy
Ovintiv supports political organizations in the United States that support and/or advocate for the election of candidates, the passage of ballot measures, and public education campaigns. In Canada, corporations are prohibited from making political donations. In the United States, we periodically give directly to candidates in jurisdictions where corporate contributions are allowed by law. Decisions to support political organizations and/or candidates are governed by our political giving policy and are aligned with our corporate strategy.
Ovintiv also utilizes the Ovintiv USA Inc. PAC (OVV PAC) to pool voluntary contributions from eligible employees to directly give to candidates or political committees at the federal and state level in the United States. PAC contributions are bi-partisan and decisions are governed by a PAC Board of Directors, which consists of senior leaders from different corporate functions and office locations. The OVV PAC reports its activities in periodic public filings with the Federal Election Commission and the Texas Ethics Commission. Listed below are the contributions by the OVV PAC to candidate and political committees in 2021.
We commit to the highest ethical standards in our advocacy efforts. We follow applicable laws and regulations as defined by jurisdiction and we comply with our Business Code of Conduct and Political Activities Policy. Ovintiv discloses our political contributions and lobbying activities in accordance with local reporting and disclosure regulations.
Candidates and industry PACs supported by the OVV PAC:
- U.S. Representative Kelly Armstrong (R-OK)
- U.S. Senator John Barrasso (R-WY)
- U.S. Representative Stephanie Bice (R-OK)
- U.S. Representative Dan Crenshaw (R-TX)
- U.S. Representative Henry Cuellar (D-TX)
- U.S. Representative John Curtis (R-UT)
- U.S. Representative Lizzie Fletcher (D-TX)
- U.S. Representative Vicente Gonzalez (D-TX)
- U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-OK)
- U.S. Senator James Lankford (R-OK)
- U.S. Representative Frank Lucas (R-OK)
- U.S. Senator Cynthia Lummis (R-WY)
- U.S. Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV)
- U.S. Representative August Pfluger (R-TX)
- State Senator Kim David (R-OK)
- Governor Kevin Stitt (R-OK)
- State Representative Zack Taylor (R-OK)
- State Representative Brooks Landgraf (R-TX)
- North Dakota Petroleum Council
- U.S. Energy PAC