We recognize the fundamental importance of human rights and the need for all of us to ensure these rights are upheld. Our respect for human rights is embodied in the way we operate and conduct ourselves—guided by our foundational values of Safety, Integrity, Respect, Trust and Sustainability.
As our governments continue their work to protect human rights locally and globally, we are doing our part to advance human rights. Respect for human rights is defined in our Human Rights Policy and further reflected in our Business Code of Conduct and Supplier Code of Conduct as well as in how we interact with each other and our stakeholders. Our codes and policies apply to all employees, contractors, service providers and suppliers.
Our Human Rights Policy provides a method for anyone to report concerns or complaints through an anonymous, third-party Integrity Hotline.
If issues are identified, Ovintiv will investigate, address and respond to these concerns. Human rights violations are serious offenses that may result in termination, penalties or other legal remedies.
Ovintiv’s commitment to human rights is guided by international and national standards, including:
- UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Right
- UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- UN’s recognition that access to water is a human right
- International Labor Organization’s Declaration of Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work
- Organization for Economic Development Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises
- All applicable federal, state and provincial laws and regulations
Human Rights Commitments
As defined in our Human Rights Policy, our commitment to human rights means that we:
- Prohibit all forms of slavery, compulsory and forced labor, human trafficking and child labor
- Ensure that anyone working on our sites is legally authorized to do so
- Understand the important role our industry can play in identifying and preventing human trafficking through increased employee awareness while working with our suppliers to engage in programs to prevent human trafficking
- Promote a respectful workplace and do not tolerate any workplace harassment, including sexual harassment or bullying. Protect and promote women’s rights and gender equality
- Do not tolerate any threats or acts of violence toward any of our employees or contractors at any of our locations
- Prohibit discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, parenthood, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or other ground protected by law
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations on freedom of association and collective bargaining. We recognize our employees’ rights to join organizations for the purposes of engaging in collective bargaining
- Respect an individual’s right to privacy and commit to ensuring compliance with all applicable privacy and data security laws
- Will not be complicit in human rights abuses or violations of human rights laws
- Will conduct a risk assessment for human rights related issues and take steps to mitigate when we enter a new operating area